A blog by Bradley Phillips

Thursday, July 9, 2009

Monsters



My 4-year-old son has been having horrible dreams lately. Every night for the last month or two he has, at some point, crawled into bed with us. More recently he has needed someone in the room with him as he falls asleep. To most this may seem taxing, however after hearing him articulate his nightmares my wife and I have decided to allow him our company until his subconscious settles.

So it’s not surprising that during his bath he built this monster (pictured above). I imagine he was not conscious of what he was building or the significance of it. How sad it is that during playtime these images manifest themselves.

Baudrillard contended that our absence of distinction between simulacra and reality presents a perceived reality. My son's perceived reality is as terrifying as the one that haunts him at night. The line between his imagination and actual life have been blurred, and I believe only he can rectify his reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment