A blog by Bradley Phillips

Monday, July 13, 2009

Losing Sleep



A former student of mine from SUU -Scott Chandler, recently accepted to the MFA program at SCAD- Came up with an interesting process for shooting abstract-like images. To be brutally honest his first images were not terribly promising and he was keeping his process hush-hush, and I happily respected it. He calls the process "Photo Cubism".

Now what brings up the topic is that its done in-camera, that is to say not in Photoshop, which really deserves a note of accolade considering the ingenuity and creativity required to come up with something all by ones self. And Photoshop effects typically tend to have an adverse affect on me, with the exception of work produced a very small group of people (another topic in and of it self). Despite my distaste for the effect, because effects are often trivial and non-ground breaking, It began to eat at me as to how it was done. Photographers by nature are problem solvers and this was no exception.

Being a cheat I took one of his images and opened it in an EXIF program to read his cameras embedded data, but to my dismay the clever dog had deleted the information. After thinking about it for a long time, and loosing a night’s sleep, it hit me how it was done. In respect for him I will not explain it here. However I do believe the process has much more potential then I had initially credited it. His images now have become much more articulate through the effect with a much greater impact. Kudos’ to you Scott.

1 comment:

  1. Brad, if you can put me in touch with Scott. I've been working on a similar technique and would be interested in talking with him and seeing more of his work.
    http://www.alecerlebacher.com/photo-cubism
    ~Alec Erlebacher

    ReplyDelete